Europe Dumps Old Money Before Ringing In the New

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 22:28:25 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, John Hall wrote:

> By all means get rid of corporate welfare.  Start with Ethanol
> subsidies, milk price fixing, sugar subsidies, peanut quotas ...

I used to agree with that, but then realized it's the last thing between us
and a huge corprate farm monopoly growing a continent full of monogenetic
crops. Small farms lose money due to deflation in commodities. But it's a
losing battle, the family farm and genetic crop diversity are doomed. Better
the quick kill.

And the only fair thing is a flat tax, no deductions. Of course then you end
up with cheating on the scale Europe apparently has, so either way people
can get around it.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com