How can this be justified?

Kelley kelley@interpactinc.com
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 08:07:52 -0400

At 02:24 PM 9/29/01 -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

>Many on this list will be suprised to hear me say this, but I've come to
>the conclusion that my own positions in many of these political debates we
>have are motivated not by ideology but by a kind of anti-ideology, one
>that apparently ironically but actually literally can be said to comprise
>"pragmatism" and / or "practicality."  (I.e., a focus on effects rather
>than motivations and ideals.)

well, you're a good American then Jeff. What you describe has been
frequently called our unique ideology. The constitution is founded on this
principle: that we cannot offer a substantive vision of the good, but can
create certain rules to adjudicate competing notions of the good. Being
anti-ideology is also very much a part of American culture.

kelley