The end of liberty

Marty Halvorson martyh@nmcourts.com
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:07:01 -0600

Jeff Bone wrote, "There are many who believe that the right way to identify
potential terrorists is a bottoms-up approach, using developing humint and
tracing through the networks.  This results in an explicit and limited
(read:  practical) "stop list" of potentially dangerous individuals rather
than a massive (read: impractical) list of mostly innocent people."

How does this work when potentially dangerous individuals can change their
"apparent" identification very easily?

Are you suggesting a national ID card with biometric data?  For example, a
card with DNA encoding, or fingerprints, or ???

My wife works for an ethnic Turk, a U.S. citizen born in Turkey who arrived
in the U.S. after receiving his degree.  Everytime he gets on an airplane
he is detained, and has been for quite some time.  He doesn't seem to mind.
 Why do you?

Please understand, I'm  not against bottom up approachs to finding these
folks.

Peace

Marty Halvorson
New Mexico Supreme Court