How can this be justified?

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Mon, 01 Oct 2001 23:44:50 -0400

I agree with this with the observation that no country can absorb
unlimited numbers of immigrants at an unlimited rate without possibly
severe consequences to 'natives'.  The US economy should not be ruined
by importing half of the residents from some country we had nothing to
do with.  Obviously we should take what we can with no major detriment
to ourselves, and in many cases it's a positive.

Better would be to prevent refugees in the first place.  Based on
statistics that seem to show how much pigs we are, I'd say that the US
citizenry is totally outnumbered by gigantic populations in various
parts of the world.  Why population explosions aren't rationally
curtailed is another topic.  Various genocidal and regressive regimes
should be stopped, although if the US moves to do that too much we're
blamed for creating the refugees...  The UN should revoke a countries
right to self-govern if it can't get it's act together! (Royal) We
should just go in and teach them how it's done.  (Ok, mostly joking there.)

As I've said before, give a 1000 Americans, taken from a good
cross-section of society, a plot of land anywhere in the world and you'd
see fractal democracy take hold right away.  Peaceful society would be
built, commerce created, and with a generally rational government and
defense.  Some of these third world groups seem 1000+ years behind us.
How do we bring them up to date without alarming the culture police or
freaking out the citizens?  How do you convince a head hunter in the
Congo to take a factory job?

sdw