Idea: A conduit for corporate funding of free software

Andy Armstrong andy@tagish.com
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 08:55:09 +0100

Johan Hjelm wrote:
[snip]
> Of course, with proper project management and enough programmers to help
> out, the bug fixing is a trivial problem. I am more worried about the rest
> of it.

I guess I don't really know the totatility of what a large company gets
from its relationship with Microsoft. I may well be underestimating how
reassuring it is to be told what technology you need and what its future
direction should be by the vendor. While the original idea was
predicated on the assumption that companies would want to have some
input into the design of the software they use I can see how that might
not be the case.

I work quite often with large public sector entities and all they don't
seem to rely on Microsoft for anything other than the software.

--
Andy Armstrong, Tagish