NYTimes: email from Israel

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 10:32:00 -0500

Grlygrl201@aol.com wrote:

> more shoulds per square inch between you and jeff, and no
> demonstrable understanding of what being a jew means to a jew.

Perhaps the problem isn't no demonstrable understanding, rather
complete understanding and complete rejection of its validity?

You don't get it, do you Geege:  That Doesn't Matter.  Being Jewish,
Irish, Navajo, Purple, or a Garlic Lover SHOULDN'T (ahem) accord you
any special status in civilization.  And that's not a statement of
ideals, it's an observation:  look at what happens when we
differentiate.

> judaism is not something they tack on after your nationality, as a
> subset.  it is genetic, passed down thru the mother. it is a belief
> in being the, not a, chosen people (why else would physiological
> heritage matter?).

Wow, now that makes a lot of sense.  "It is genetic...  it is a
belief..."  And you know, the whole language here rubs me the wrong
way:  "the, not a, chosen people" doesn't sound so far away from the
ubermensch, does it?  I sense subtle but deep hypocrisy lurking
here...

> i know exactly where you've drawn your line: fine and well, you say,
> but why do we have to (literally) buy into their beliefs?  because
> they won't change them, we do what is pragmatic: nation build.

Go look up pragmatism, Geege.  You're using it incorrectly.

jb