NYTimes: email from Israel

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:00:39 -0500

Bottom line:  several root-cause problems in a lot of this stuff.  (A)
Incomplete (or nonexistant) separation of religion / ethnicity / state.  (B)
"Tribalism" leading to incomplete integration in geographic community, leading
to resentment by neighbors not in whatever is the designated "in crowd" tribe
in question.  (C)  Too much focus on the past, and unwillingness to let bygones
be bygones.  (D)  A fundamental belief in the validity of discrimination along
any of several dimensions.  (E)  Infectious memes that organize individuals
into superorganisms endowed with a belief in their own moral superiority, i.e.,
"we are the chosen people of God / we are genetically superior and
intellectually more gifted / etc."

All of these things are problems, and humans can choose to let go of such
primitive, outdated beliefs or cling to them and suffer the consequences.

jb