NYTimes: email from Israel

Paul Prescod paul@ActiveState.com
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 13:56:59 -0700

> Consistency is the cornerstone of justice.

Right now, I think that peace is more important than justice, protestors
not-with-standing.

We're starting from a fundamentally unjust place. The Jews shouldn't
have taken over the Palestinians homeland. There should have been no
Holocaust. There should not have been a Jewish diaspora. If there were
an all-powerful world policeman then maybe we could impose justice now.
But really the best we can hope for is for the people to stop killing
each other long enough for them to come to the same conclusions about
peace and justice that you have.

> Without it anyone can claim special privileges and you end up
> for a free-for-all. Its uncivilised.

Free-for-all and incivility are the natural state of the planet. We
can't wish order onto it. The conditions for justice must grow. They
cannot be imposed.

 Paul Prescod