NYTimes: email from Israel

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 16:04:36 -0500

Grlygrl201@aol.com wrote:

> GLARINGINLY RIDIC:  so you haven't just endowed yourself with moral
> and intellectual superiority by calling someone else's belief system
> primitive and outdated?

Poor choice of words, you are right.  However:  primitive --- clearly
--- by virtue of being a societal form dating back to the dawn of
manking, and outdated by virtue of the fact that in today's world of
globalization, diversity, and disappearing borders these kinds of
things cause more problems than they solve.  No value judgement was
intended, merely observation.

For the record, though, I don't think it takes a moral or intellectual
giant to recognize the things referred to (call it "tribalism") as
either primitive or outdated.  At least I hope it doesn't.

> can't you manage to invoke the first without casting down all those
> "others" around you?  aren't your preaching here, jeff, or don't you
> recognize your own religion?

Religion is based on faith in the unprovable.  I'm just drawing
conclusions from observations.  It's a fundamentally different
process.  You do recognize that, don't you Geege?

jb