Christianity, US government, democracy

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 22:06:10 +0000

Russell Turpin:

Robert Harley writes:
>Well, the quarter in my hand says "IN GOD WE TRUST."  This is about as
>Christian as it gets.

This fails to answer the question. The decorations on
money are cultural tokens. Nothing more, nothing less.
In Canada, the money has maple leaves. In Texas, public
property abounds with pictures of the Alamo. None of
this says anything about how government is structured,
or the principles on which US law is based. On the
dollar bill in my hand, there is a picture of a pyramid.
Does this mean the US government is based on Egyptian
principles?

Of less importance, that motto isn't even Christian. It
is merely theistic. Only atheists should be somewhat
disappointed by its appearance on their money. For the
most part, though, they realize that this is mere
decoration, having no more importance than the pyramid,
the eye, the key, or the scale.

Russell