NYTimes: email from Israel

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 10:39:01 -0400

Mr. FoRK wrote:

>>Primitive:
>>Congo, Afghanistan  (canabalism-derived culture, genocide, abuse of
>>women, death sentences for everything)
>>
> Canabalism culture? In the Congo? I'm from the Congo... got any links to
> back that up?

That comment was based on a mental note based on a newscast/newspaper at
some point in the last 5 years talking about some tribe in, I believe,
the Congo, or Zaire, or someplace.

Part of the problem with finding anything on the subject is that when I
search for Congo/Africa/Canabal all I get are people with 'Canabal' in
their last names!  What does that tell you?

This link, found with 'canabalism congo' indicates I wasn't far off:

http://www.newcastle.edu.au/cwis/ra/programs/godfrey/1-11-96.html

"and the awful story was made known last year of how President
Mitterand's son encouraged the providing of arms to the Hutu to have a
genocide of the Anglophone Tutsis. This situation errupts again:

Zaire which is most of the old Belgian Congo is on the border and the
race types of course are not defined by pre-war colonial borders that
the modern states in many cases retain. We are dealing with a people
where canabalism was not unknown in the middle of the 19th century;

where there was great poverty; where the slave trade had debauched the
coastlands with alcohol and other Western evils. Also, it must not be
surprising that the treatment of the native labourers by European firms
anxious to get minerals and timber have all produced jealousies and
hatreds because it suited the colonial power to accentuate tribal divisions.

So this dreadful blood bath - it is a scandal to the world that no-one
is preventing it; no-one is attempting to send relief because it is too
big for everybody at the moment to cope with. In the evil backdrop of
this whole scheme is, of course, the international armaments trade which
enables these poor African countries to buy the tools of death."

sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams
43392 Wayside Cir,Ashburn,VA 20147-4622 703-724-0118W 703-995-0407Fax
Dec2000