"Who needs a homeland?" (was: How can this be justified?)

Grlygrl201@aol.com Grlygrl201@aol.com
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:46:53 EDT

--part1_156.1e52268.28ec7edd_boundary

In a message dated 10/3/01 9:35:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
deafbox@hotmail.com writes:

> (4) This primitive "want" is so strong, that as
> far as I can tell, history shows only two ways
> that different peoples can live together in
> piece. (a) Some group is so successful in its
> conquest that it establishes a nation or empire
> in which the conquered groups no longer fight
> each other. While not always ideal, it is what
> we typically imagine when we use the term
> "civilization."

kind of like microsoft?

i wonder if our need to territorialize brings on the nation-state mentality,
and not the other way around.  i mean, look at football games.  we do this
sort of thing for entertainment.  seriously, if you break it down to smalller
organizational territories - let's say office in-fighting - you see the same
behavior: one person trying to claw his way up and over his colleagues.  so,
i posit, as long as the individual displays (and celebrates!) alpha-animal
behavior, why wouldn't the collective?  religions, cultures, whatever you
call them, are just team colors.

geege

--part1_156.1e52268.28ec7edd_boundary