Congo

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 11:04:19 -0400

You know, I even checked Dictionary.com and it didn't suggest an
improvement...  I guess my usually strong spelling doesn't extend to
this subject.  Still, misspelled words as names isn't unheard of.  I
wonder if there's a story behind it.

In any case, here are some more links:

http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/congo.html

Sidney Langford Hinde (former captain of the Congo Free State Force):The
Fall of the Congo Arabs, Methuen, 1897:

'Nearly all the tribes in the Congo Basin either are or have been
cannibals; and among some of them the practice is on the increase. Races
who until lately do not seem to have been cannibals, though situated in
a country surrounded by cannibal races, have, from increased intercourse
with their neighbours, learned to eat human flesh.'

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_Studies/Hornet/irin817.html

IRIN-CEA Update 817 [19991207]

DRC: Army accused of summary executions

The DRC human rights group ASADHO has expressed concern over summary
executions and harassment by the Congolese army in villages near the
town of Basankusu in Equateur province. In the report, issued before the
rebel Mouvement de liberation du Congo (MLC) captured Basankusu from the
army, ASADHO said the atrocities were committed in July and September in
villages such as Pimu, Djombo and Kodoro after Congolese troops were
repulsed by the MLC. On their retreat towards the Maringa river, the
soldiers "killed in cold blood" people who tried to escape the
onslaught, apparently seeking out the Ngombe people whom they accused of
collaborating with the rebels. ASADHO also accused some MLC rebels of
cannibalism. It cited witnesses who said a man and two children in
Djombo had their throats slit by members of the MLC, who then ate them.