"Who needs a homeland?" (was: How can this be justified?)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 16:45:30 +0000

John Hall writes:
>The nation-state mentality dates (in the West) to the Monarchial Revolution
>350 years ago.  That itself was an improvement over the more localized
>tribalism that existed before.  [Modern history, but then I'm
>not sure the Romans really had a nation-state mentality either.  The Greeks
>certainly did not.]

The Greeks and the Romans are interesting cases. The
Romans seemed much more pragmatic, and happily extended
their vaunted citizenship to people of all races and
religions, as long as they gave their due to Rome. Even
their emporers could be German or African. But the
central government wasn't just located at Rome. It *was*
Rome. At least, until it was also Byzantium. This is an
empire mentality, rather than a nation-state mentality.

The Greeks seem, to my reading, much more ethnically
conscious, always looking down their noses at any group
that wasn't Hellenic, and with constant bickering between
the different Hellenic groups. That said, they certainly
came to understand the notion and benefits of
confederation. The Delian League didn't last long, but
while it did last, it brought a prosperity and to the
Aegaean region, and maybe more of a metropolitan outlook.

Russell