"Who needs a homeland?" (was: How can this be justified?)

John Hall johnhall@evergo.net
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:27:22 -0700

> Behalf Of Paul Prescod
>
> American Jews are safer as long as the American public is on
> their side. On a Jew with a very constrained view of society
> would consider that the sort of safety they can depend upon
> in the long term. The Catholic Church also made periodic
> truces with them.

The American public only came to support them after the absolute shock
of the Holocaust, along with Israeli victory in '67.

I admit to being bewildered by anti-Semitism, except that which is
explicitly based on religious war.  It is the persistence of that bias
where it doesn't look like religion is the primary motivating force that
I don't understand.

And I can also be stunned by how quickly it can return with a vengence.

There is one explanation I read.  The Jews, not being welcome much of
anywhere, often specialized as trade middle men.  (They are not the only
ethnic group that has specialized this way, groups from India and
Lebanon have done it as well).

Few people understand, at a low raw level, the value of middle men
traders.  Too often the termendous value they add is seen as cheating or
crooked.  Maybe that is where an explanation can be found.