"Who needs a homeland?" (was: How can this be justified?)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 23:30:05 +0000

John Hall writes:
>Weimar Germany was a western democracy.

Not really. It was more one of the examples where the
western democracies tried to impose democracy on a
culture that wasn't yet ready to support that form
of government. The western democracies of the time,
instead of doing what was required to maintain such
government, created conditions that made its survival
almost impossible. See Keynes, "Economic Consequences
of the Peace."

>I don't think the safety provided by western democracies has existed for
>much longer than the state of Israel. At least in Israel, the Jewish
>population knows that their government will be on their side no matter what
>happens. ..

But the problem isn't just how to make Jews safe. It's
how to make ALL peoples safe. And we already know what
kind of world we get when the answer to that question is:
let them each fight for a homeland, and when they get it,
let them rule it as if they are the only people there
that matter.

Russell