Arundhati Roy on September 11

Bill Stoddard bill@wstoddard.com
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:05:02 -0400

> The trouble is that once America goes off to war, it can't very
> well return without having fought one. If it doesn't find its enemy, for
> the sake of the enraged folks back home, it will have to manufacture
> one.

Wow, such self serving bullshit. I just hate flat assertions like this. Wow, Arundhati
says this so it must be true. Wonder if he works for The Enquirer? So if the US forces
attack, was an enemy manufactured or was some of the enemy found and taken out? No matter
what the true answer is, we know what Arundhati's answer will be. And we know what
conclusion he wants you to decide. Lame ass bullshit.

> Once war begins, it will develop a momentum, a logic and a
> justification of its own, and we'll lose sight of why it's being fought
> in the first place.

And by what measure will Arundhati make this judgement?  And how specifically is he coming
to this conclusion?  More flat assertion bullshit.

> What we're witnessing here is the spectacle of the world's most
> powerful country reaching reflexively, angrily, for an old instinct to
> fight a new kind of war. Suddenly, when it comes to defending itself,
> America's streamlined warships, cruise missiles and F-16 jets look like
> obsolete, lumbering things.

Wow!  So tech is TOTALLY useless in Afganistan!  Must be a damn smart fellow to work out
all the operations research that enables him to come to this conclusion.

Yadda, yadda bullshit. Go back to the farm Arundhati.

Bill