The Untouchables of India

Carey Lening clening@creasonandaarvig.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 13:13:40 -0700

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

------=_NextPart_000_0271_01C14D9F.8D02E300

Frankly, I had heard of this, but knew very little.  I stumbled upon =
this article, and found it absoloutely fascinating. I'm still trying to =
figure out exactly what ascribes you to the Dalit ('Untouchable') =
status, and why someone couldn't just 'lie' their way out of their caste =
(Along the lines that say, black people who had white mixings could pose =
for a white person).   Granted, this is coming from the naive mind of a =
21 year old American girl, but I am genuinely intrigued here.  If anyone =
has any more details on this structure, I'd love to know.   ANyway, =
here's the article, definitely off-topic from the prior conversations:=20

http://www.atimes.com/ind-pak/CI11Df01.html=20

------=_NextPart_000_0271_01C14D9F.8D02E300

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Frankly, I had heard of this, but knew =
very=20
little.&nbsp; I stumbled upon this article, and found it absoloutely=20
fascinating. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what ascribes you to =
the=20
Dalit ('Untouchable') status, and why someone couldn't just 'lie' their =
way out=20
of their caste (Along the lines that say,&nbsp;black people who had =
white=20
mixings could pose for a white person). &nbsp; Granted, this is coming =
from the=20
naive mind of a 21 year old American girl, but I am genuinely intrigued=20
here.&nbsp; If anyone has any more details on this structure, I'd love =
to=20
know.&nbsp;&nbsp; ANyway, here's the article, definitely off-topic from =
the=20
prior conversations:&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.atimes.com/ind-pak/CI11Df01.html">http://www.atimes.co=
m/ind-pak/CI11Df01.html</A></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0271_01C14D9F.8D02E300--

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary--