The Untouchables of India

Carey Lening clening@creasonandaarvig.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:35:09 -0700

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

------=_NextPart_000_029E_01C14DAA.EF5CCCE0

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: sateesh narahari=20
  To: Carey Lening ; fork@xent.com=20
  Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 1:54 PM
  Subject: Re: The Untouchables of India

  well, I guess being a non-brahmin and a non-dalit,  I think I can try =
to be objective here.
  =20
  People are classified as dalits by birth. This was a caste =
classification done thousands of years ago. As per this segregration, =
there are=20
  =20
  1. Preachers, Teachers, highly educated people
  2. Kings, Rulers, Rajas etc
  3. Business men=20
  4. Workers
  =20
  As a result of this, most people who were workers ( for ex: a shoe =
maker ) were classified as 4th class. Over ages, the workers class got =
classified as Dalits.

  =20
  Regarding, why someone can't lie their way out of their caste, its =
difficult for several reasons:
   1. Your parents caste is your caste.
   2. Most certificates in India require that your caste be disclosed.
   3. Parents enforce a sense of dalit-ness in people from childhood. ( =
Dalit parents tell their children, to be far away from Brahmin children, =
for fear of reprisals from elders).

I still don't get why a parent would encourage a person to be stuck in a =
situation that can't obviously be that great.  THe concept of injustice =
thats sort of just taken is a tough one for me to understand.  Of =
course, I have no context in this society, and my perspective isn't even =
close to this mindset.  Incidentally, what would the elder reprisal be =
for say, a Dalit child who decided to be adventurous and hang out with a =
Brahmin's kid?=20
   4. In Modern times, being a dalit is actually means, getting =
preferential treatment in college admissions, very good scholorships.
So , let me get this straight, the worker class as a WHOLE got classed =
into the Dalit category?  If so, why did the article rattle off about =
the hundreds of different sub class categories?  Also, why didn't the =
workers revolt their categorization?  and is this affirmative action =
(the preferential treatment in education) hold true for all dalits or =
just some of the sub categories or what?=20
  It is said in Hindu scriptures that anyone with high education, and =
wisdom should be called Brahmin, and it never was meant to be a by birth =
classification.
  =20
  Unfortunately, along the way, the pundits have hijacked the =
scriptures, and gave different interpretation( just like those islamic =
clerics in Afghan, who hijacked quran, and like some extremist folks who =
hijack bible in ireland and america).=20

Such is ALWAYS the way of people who get power.  They use religion (or =
ideology, or race, or pick a category, ism or meme) and pollute it. =20

------=_NextPart_000_029E_01C14DAA.EF5CCCE0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:narahari@hotmail.com" =
title=3Dnarahari@hotmail.com>sateesh=20
  narahari</A> </DIV>
  href=3D"mailto:clening@creasonandaarvig.com"=20
  title=3Dclening@creasonandaarvig.com>Carey Lening</A> ; <A=20
  href=3D"mailto:fork@xent.com" title=3Dfork@xent.com>fork@xent.com</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, October 05, 2001 =
1:54=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: The Untouchables =
of=20
  India</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>well, I guess being a non-brahmin and =
a=20
  non-dalit, &nbsp;I think I can try to be objective here.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>People are classified as dalits by =
birth. This=20
  was a caste classification done thousands of years ago. As per this=20
  segregration, there are </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>1. Preachers, Teachers, highly =
educated=20
  people</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>2. Kings, Rulers, Rajas =
etc</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>3. Business men </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>4. Workers</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As a result of this, most people who =
were workers=20
  ( for ex: a shoe maker ) were classified as 4th class. Over ages, the =
workers=20
  class got classified as Dalits.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regarding, why someone can't lie =
their way out of=20
  their caste, its difficult for several reasons:</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;1. Your parents caste is your=20
  caste.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;2. Most certificates in India =
require that=20
  your caste be disclosed.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;3. Parents enforce a sense of =
dalit-ness in=20
  people from childhood. ( Dalit parents tell their children, to be far =
away=20
  from Brahmin children, for fear of reprisals from =
elders).</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I still don't get why a parent would =
encourage a=20
person to be stuck in a situation that can't obviously be that =
great.&nbsp; THe=20
concept of injustice thats sort of just taken is a tough one for me to=20
understand.&nbsp; Of course, I have no context in this society, and my=20
perspective isn't even close to this mindset.&nbsp; Incidentally, what =
would the=20
elder reprisal be for say, a Dalit child who decided to be adventurous =
and hang=20
out with a Brahmin's kid? </FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;4. In Modern times, being a =
dalit is=20
  actually means, getting preferential treatment in college admissions, =
very=20
  good scholorships.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So , let me get this straight, the =
worker class as=20
a WHOLE got classed into the Dalit category?&nbsp; If so, why did the =
article=20
rattle off about the hundreds of different sub class categories?&nbsp; =
Also, why=20
didn't the workers revolt their categorization?&nbsp; and is this =
affirmative=20
action (the preferential treatment in education) hold true for all =
dalits or=20
just some of the sub categories or what? </FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It is said in Hindu scriptures that =
anyone with=20
  high education, and wisdom should be called Brahmin, and it never was =
meant to=20
  be a by birth classification.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Unfortunately, along the way, the =
pundits have=20
  hijacked the scriptures, and gave different interpretation( just like =
those=20
  islamic clerics in Afghan, who hijacked quran, and like some extremist =
folks=20
  who hijack bible in ireland and america).&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Such is ALWAYS the way of people who =
get=20
power.&nbsp; They use religion (or ideology, or race, or pick a =
category, ism or=20
meme) and pollute it.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_029E_01C14DAA.EF5CCCE0--

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary--