Arundhati Roy on September 11

Max Dunn maxdunn@siliconpublishing.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:05:28 -0700

I agree that this article is absolutely worthless.  Isn't she a fiction
writer?  She dumbs down history to the level of a comic book.

Max
-----Original Message-----
From: fork-admin@xent.com [mailto:fork-admin@xent.com] On Behalf Of
Stephen D. Williams
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 5:31 AM
To: Jean Jordaan
Cc: fork@xent.com
Subject: Re: Arundhati Roy on September 11

While I would fully agree that many covert or otherwise dimly perceived,

in the US, actions by the US government were often ill conceived and ill

fated, that doesn't mean there was no reason or useful effect.

This diatribe has zero acknowledgment of any motive, success of any
kind, or culpability by others.  That is completely unacceptable.  If
people in other countries can't even see or acknowledge that there were
logical, positive motives in all actions the US, and often really the
UN, has taken, they are being both dishonest and willfully ignorant.

Go ahead and argue with the goals, like fighting the Communism meme
(Soviet Union, Korea, Cuba, et al) or controlling imperial invasion
(Iraq-Kuwait), or genocide (Kosovo, Serbia), but don't act like we just
fucked the world up because we are big and powerful.  We're not killing
children in Iraq, Saddam is, and the population is letting him, helping
him.  America has always had an isolationist instinct, but there are
those that convince us, apparently, that a few chess moves down the road

we're going to be screwed if we don't get involved.  This was certainly
true with Communism.  It was certainly true in WWI/WWII.  It is now true

of 'militant Muslims' that essentially believe that we fundamentally
shouldn't exist and are constantly working toward our removal.  It
doesn't matter how they got to that point because it isn't a point they
will negotiate.  That meme now has to be eradicated purely out of
self-defense, which is a right that everyone recognizes.  Telling us we
created the monster all by ourselves so we should just let it run its
course or try to placate it is disingenuous and not even within reason.

We spend a lot of our own effort, money, and resources trying to help
the rest of the world.  The world of crazy people with primitive
beliefs, governments, and viewpoints who are constantly trying to kill
each other.  It's often a no-win situation but we seem to feel we help
more than we hurt or at least prevent even worse results.  Don't blame
us for trying and get off your ass and take care of some of the mess
yourselves.

sdw

Jean Jordaan wrote:

> Most of these points have been made on this list. Arundhati is very
> critical of the US, but not I think unfairly so.

sdw@lig.net  http://sdw.st
Stephen D. Williams
43392 Wayside Cir,Ashburn,VA 20147-4622 703-724-0118W 703-995-0407Fax
Dec2000