SOAP is the Esperanto of the Web.

Philippe Lourier pl@technetcast.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:53:08 -0400

This analogy seems to me a bit strained but if you must compare:
The cost of learning Esperanto must be replicated for each human that
wants to be a member of the group  - The cost of learning SOAP or XML
(ie. the cost of implementing a SOAP stack) is incurred a few times
only (for ea. implementation) and this knowledge can then be
digitally copied to other machines in the group -
Also machines are more promiscuous than humans who tend to spend most
of their time communicating with members of their own group(s).  The
pressures to be able to intercommunicate with a random selection of
peers are much greater for machines than for humans.

So as a result of both the cost of acquisition of the language and
the level of demand it seems that SOAP has a much better shot at
widespread adoption than Esperanto