We have a problem here...

Carey Lening clening@creasonandaarvig.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:34:03 -0700

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary

------=_NextPart_000_0122_01C15272.89E63780

wOAH.. was I sleeping when they decided to combine the two bills into =
PATRIOT?

 From the Usenix mailing group:=20

>We are most concerned about aspects of two proposed bills, the
>Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA) and the Security Systems Standards and
>Certification Act (SSSCA), and how they interact with existing
l>egislation such as the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the Digital
>Millennium Copyright Act. The ATA redefines virtually all computer
>crime as terrorism, enlarges the maximum penalty to life in prison
>without parole, allows broad pre-conviction seizures, and,
>furthermore, does this retroactively, removing the existing statute of
>limitations. The SSSCA essentially mandates copyright protection in
>all digital consumer devices and makes disabling or avoidance of
>copyright mechanisms a felony offense.

Seriously, when did this happen?? This is egregious, even for =
politicians. WTF does the SSSCA (a bowing down to the copyright bigwigs) =
have to do at all with NAtional security?  Last I checked, SSSCA was a =
seperate bill, at least allowing the folks a good war against two bills =
instead of just one monolothic, sure to pass evil. =20

Jeesus H.  WRiting the congresscritters sounds better than ever...=20

=20
\
 /      =20

------=_NextPart_000_0122_01C15272.89E63780

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>wOAH.. was I sleeping when they decided =
to combine=20
the two bills into PATRIOT?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;From the Usenix mailing group: =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>&gt;We are most concerned about =
aspects of two=20
proposed bills, the<BR>&gt;Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA) and the Security =
Systems=20
Standards and<BR>&gt;Certification Act (SSSCA), and how they interact =
with=20
existing<BR>l&gt;egislation such as the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and =
the=20
Digital<BR>&gt;Millennium Copyright Act. The ATA redefines virtually all =

computer<BR>&gt;crime as terrorism, enlarges the maximum penalty to life =
in=20
prison<BR>&gt;without parole, allows broad pre-conviction seizures,=20
and,<BR>&gt;furthermore, does this retroactively, removing the existing =
statute=20
of<BR>&gt;limitations. The SSSCA essentially mandates copyright =
protection=20
in<BR>&gt;all digital consumer devices and makes disabling or avoidance=20
of<BR>&gt;copyright mechanisms a felony offense.<BR></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Seriously, when did this happen?? This =
is=20
egregious, even for politicians. WTF does the SSSCA (a bowing down to =
the=20
copyright bigwigs) have to do at all with NAtional security?&nbsp; Last =
I=20
checked, SSSCA was a seperate bill, at least allowing the folks a good =
war=20
against two bills instead of just one monolothic, sure to pass =
evil.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jeesus H.&nbsp; WRiting the =
congresscritters sounds=20
better than ever... </DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;<BR>\<BR>&nbsp;/&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0122_01C15272.89E63780--

--------------InterScan_NT_MIME_Boundary--