Worried about mosquito vectored hemorrhagic fever?

Justin Mason jm@jmason.org
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:10:05 +1000

Russell Turpin said:

> Don't travel here:
> http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/conditions/10/09/hawaii.dengue.ap/index.html
> Carolyn and I will take your pre-purchased tickets and beach cabin.

Good plan!  Kind of like the job of King's Taster in ye olde days.

I was holidaying in Thailand just a few months ago, where there was
(apparently [1]) a very high incidence this year.  Compare the above
story's figures with Thailand's 56,427 cases since January ;)

BTW -- from reading that article it looks like the current outbreak is not
the haemorrhagic fever, only the not-so-nasty "just plain dengue fever",
which just causes "intense headaches, vomiting, muscle and joint aches",
without the uncontrollable bleeding.  So that's OK then.

  [1]: http://www.malaysiakini.com/Foreign/2001/08/2001080503.php3

--j.