Distributed file systems, using http

Justin Chapweske justin@chapweske.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:27:05 -0500

If you are looking at *distributed* file systems, then whether its an
"http file system" or not shouldn't matter.  Instead you should shift
your thinking to approach it as two seperate pieces: your client/server
front end file system, and your distributed back end file system.

I would recommend using webdav for your frontend and Intermezzo
(http://clusterfs.com/), GFS (http://www.sistina.com/), or your favorite
distributed fs for the back end.  The big thing to watch out for is
compatibility of locking semantics between webdav and your distributed fs.

Thanks,

--
Justin Chapweske, Onion Networks
http://onionnetworks.com/