Distributed file systems, using http

Vinod Kulkarni vinod@persistent.co.in
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:30:51 +0530

With DAV now going mainstream, we should expect Proxy DAV services
that connect multiple, geographically distributed DAV services.
Such services should help in:
  - Centralized namespace management - i.e. a lot of freedom
    in how different people would like to access same resource.
  - Of course, decentralized administration
  - Local attributes attached to remote DAV resources
  - Good control over versioning
  and so on. They will probably be integrated with firewalls.

Such proxy DAVs also move the filesystems from being OS specific to
being user specific. So irrespective of where I login from, I will see
exact same structure. Different parts of the directory tree will
probably imported from other users/agencies, and/or exported to other users.

We also require good control on offline data. The user-centric
filesystem should help in this: It can integrate offline and online data
in a seamless manner. What that means is: The filesystem under my
administration is partly online and partly offline (in CDROMs, tapes
etc.). Any Writable CD or harddisk newly added to such system will be
formatted such that it has permanent ID allocated. And the "space" is
added to your pool of available space. And so on ...

-Vinod