Distributed file systems, using http

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:51:11 -0400 (EDT)

> If you are looking at *distributed* file systems, then whether its an
> "http file system" or not shouldn't matter.  Instead you should shift
> your thinking to approach it as two seperate pieces: your client/server
> front end file system, and your distributed back end file system.

My interest is a bit different -- I'm talking to a grant-giving
organization about the feasibility of an existing project. That
project, (PING, the Personal Internetworked Notary and Guardian,
http://www.ga.org/ga/Riva2001.pdf). They've chosen http because they
wanted anything, even a persnoal AOL web hosting account, to be able
to be the backend.

-clay