Felten, DMCA and the DoJ

Jon O . jono@microshaft.org
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:16:32 -0700

----- Forwarded message -----

To: dmca_discuss@lists.microshaft.org
Subject: [DMCA_discuss] Felten, DMCA and the DoJ
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 14:44:31 -0700

There is a story about the recent request for dismissal of the Felten
lawsuit here:
http://www.idg.net/ic_711451_1773_1-3921.html

It states:
The defendants have claimed all along, however, that they had no intention of suing the scientists.

In a statement released by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) shortly after the suit was filed against it and the other defendants, the RIAA said "Professor Felten's decision to sue the RIAA and SDMI Foundation is inexplicable. We have unequivocally and repeatedly stated that we have no intention of bringing a lawsuit against Professor Felten or his colleagues."

However directly from an RIAA letter to Felten, we have:
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/sdmi/riaaletter.html
http://www.anti-dmca.org/riaa-spin-control.html

Dear Professor Felton [sic]:

...In addition, any disclosure of information gained form participating
in the Public Challenge would be outside of the scope of the activities
permitted by the Agreement and could subject you and you research team
to actions under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA").