Musings

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:44:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, rudy rouhana wrote:

> Adam L. Beberg Wrote:
> > The next evolution of this will
> > be when all prices simply must be listed as Price = ( cost + sales tax + 2
> > day shipping ), end of story. The only trick I see left is the $5 + $17 S/H
>
> "Imagine" when we'll buy everything online...That's SO 1999 ;)
> Seriously, I don't think it will come to that across the board.
> Granted, I just bought a gigabyte of ram for $99 + Fed-X + sales tax.
> However, time and time again, it's been proven that people use the
> Internet to browse and compare, but they go to the store to buy.

Ah, but the "damage" is from the browse and compare, the store vs. FedEx is
simply the degree of laziness about having to out on more then pajamas.

> I think you're discounting the Fed-X part of the pricing equation that
> you use to come to this conclusion.  People are still people, and not
> optimized machines that make the best quantifiable decision.

For groceries I agree, but for an item of any value, say over $100.00,
people are willing to do at least a little research.

> Anyway, long story short because it's late, there are lots of valid
> reasons why our economy is the way it is.  My explanation is incomplete,
> and full of holes, but I was just trying to illustrate a point, not
> create a convincing, airtight argument.

I wont argue with any of the points you make, convenience, bundling,
distribution. What I will say is that having 4 Fry's sales monkeys per
producer/thinker probably isn't the best way to go. This trend from builder
to servicer is constant and global, but the money is in the bulting, not the
servicing - because it only takes one person to figure out how to build
something so it doesnt need servicing. What would happen to the software
industry if one day microsoft released a patch and WinXP was secure and
installed all the freeware apps you have to add so your mom can use it, the
carnage and unemployment is unimagineable. They could do this with so little
effort - thank god for antimonopoly laws. Look what happened to the auto
industry now that the MTBF is well over 100,000 miles, oops. Bad bad
engineers! I dunno about you, but all the tech I've been working on has a
negative net employment, not a positive one. I just reduce the monkeys
though, the builders are safe from me for now.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com