Musings

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:16:09 -0500

Adam Beberg writes:
> A. The free flow of information eliminates middlemen.
> B. The american economy is primarily built on middlemen.

Let's try the 19th century version of this:

A. The industrialization of farming eliminates farmers.
B. The American economy is primarily built on farmers.

Or the 20th century version:

A. Automation eliminates factory workers.
B. The American economy is primarily built on factory
workers.

The difference, of course, is that entire political
philosophies were built around the importance of the
independent farmer, not just as the center point of
the economy, but also as the sine qua non of human
life. Later, political philosophers were written around
the factory worker, though these saw factory work
as necessary rather than as ennobling. I trust we're
not going to see the emergence of a political
philosophy built around the middle man.

Russell