Musings

Grlygrl201@aol.com Grlygrl201@aol.com
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 15:22:33 EDT

--part1_157.27556a0.28fb3ff9_boundary

In a message dated 10/14/01 3:04:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jbone@jump.net
writes:

> >> A. The free flow of information eliminates middlemen.
> >> B. The american economy is primarily built on middlemen.
> >> A + B = Danger Will Robinson, we're screwed.
> >>

> > middlemen = services, for which we gladly pay.
>
> I'll go one step further --- when we manage to get back to our
> regularly scheduled programming of ecom, ebiz, consumer plays, and
> clicks-n-mortar v. bricks-n-mortar v. pure online, we'll discover a
> new definition of "service."  To wit, "services" are whatever we deem
> it worthwhile to pay middlemen for. ;-)  For example, the whole idea
> of buying furniture purely online proved --- despite net.gain, etc.
> --- to be a huge disaster.  That's because retailers provide a
> valuable service, renting space in which to house showrooms so we can
> see that sofa and sit on it before we buy it.  Their value add is in
> letting me touch-and-feel the merchandise, and I'm happy to pay for
> that.
>
> jb

right, and last time i bought furniture the furniture store loaned me a
decorator to find just the right rug and to suggest wall colors. that service
was "free" - but even if i paid a little more for the furniture the
information on paint techniques (and the referral to someone who could do
them) was worth it.

--part1_157.27556a0.28fb3ff9_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 10/14/01 3:04:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jbone@jump.net writes:
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&gt;&gt; A. The free flow of information eliminates middlemen.
<BR>&gt;&gt; B. The american economy is primarily built on middlemen.
<BR>&gt;&gt; A + B = Danger Will Robinson, we're screwed.
<BR>&gt;&gt;
<BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt;
<BR>&gt; middlemen = services, for which we gladly pay.
<BR>
<BR>I'll go one step further --- when we manage to get back to our
<BR>regularly scheduled programming of ecom, ebiz, consumer plays, and
<BR>clicks-n-mortar v. bricks-n-mortar v. pure online, we'll discover a
<BR>new definition of "service." &nbsp;To wit, "services" are whatever we deem
<BR>it worthwhile to pay middlemen for. ;-) &nbsp;For example, the whole idea
<BR>of buying furniture purely online proved --- despite net.gain, etc.
<BR>--- to be a huge disaster. &nbsp;That's because retailers provide a
<BR>valuable service, renting space in which to house showrooms so we can
<BR>see that sofa and sit on it before we buy it. &nbsp;Their value add is in
<BR>letting me touch-and-feel the merchandise, and I'm happy to pay for
<BR>that.
<BR>
<BR>jb
<BR>
<BR>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>right, and last time i bought furniture the furniture store loaned me a decorator to find just the right rug and to suggest wall colors. that service was "free" - but even if i paid a little more for the furniture the information on paint techniques (and the referral to someone who could do them) was worth it.</FONT></HTML>

--part1_157.27556a0.28fb3ff9_boundary--