Musings

Paul Prescod paul@ActiveState.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:35:38 -0700

"Adam L. Beberg" wrote:

> .... I dunno about you, but all the tech I've been working on has a
> negative net employment, not a positive one. I just reduce the monkeys
> though, the builders are safe from me for now.

I don't think you know that for sure. When BigCorp lays off ten thousand
people, they reduce the price of product or service X. For instance when
AT&T lays off ten thousand operators, the price of long distance phone
calls drops. When that happens, a bunch of other businesses recognize
that something that was previously impossible (e.g. the mass market
internet) is now possible. Those people build a whole new industry
employing thousands of sysadmins and technical support people. One day
many of those sysadmins and technical support people will be automated
out of business, the price of Internet connectivity will drop and some
new industry will be born on the basis of virtually free internet
access. You are automating some people out of jobs and other people into
jobs.

 Paul Prescod