Cali-Forks: ownership of medical records

rudy rouhana webtagz@yahoo.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:30:44 -0700 (PDT)

Jim Whitehead Wrote:
> This isa subtle difference, I
> know, but it does empower the patient more, and would eliminate this $25 for
> a copy of my records business.  If the physician wants to keep a copy of my
> records, great, but they need to pay for it.

True, but ultimatly someone has to pay for it.  It's a manual process that
requires one of the office staff to stop doing a billable (like filing your
insurance claims for you, the alternative would be for them to give them to you
and tell you to get the reimbursement from the insurance company yourself -
good luck) task and use that time to copy the documents.  Also, there is the
cost of reproduction of the documents.

It amazes me, though, how sensitive people are to charges whenever they are
medical.  Most people overlook all the 'add-on' charges for car repair, but
when it comes to their own bodies, they start to nickel and dime.  Heck, I've
seen people pay over a grand to the vet for their cats and dogs, but call up
and bitch about $10 co-payments!  Granted, health care costs are expensive.
However, primary care physicians (pediatrics, family practice, interists, etc.)
are not getting rich, not by a long shot.  This is a cost that those types of
physicians absorb completly.

For the record, ETrade charges $50 to transfer an account out of Etrade, and
from what I can tell, the cost to send bits from one place to another should
not be that high.

-Rudy