"too clever in sponsoring the mujaheddin"

Dave Long dl@silcom.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:31:16 -0700

<http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/Active_Clippings/brzezinsky_muj.html>
has an interview of Zbigniew Brzezinski from
Le Nouvel Observateur (France), Jan 15-21, 1998, p. 76,
in which Brzezinski says the CIA pulled the soviets
into Afghanistan, and that that was a good thing.

> Q: When the Soviets justified their intervention by asserting that
> they intended to fight against a secret involvement of the United
> States in Afghanistan, people didn't believe them. However, there
> was a basis of truth. You don't regret anything today?
>
> Brzezinski: Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent
> idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap
> and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially
> crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter: We now have the
> opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam war. Indeed, for almost
> 10 years, Moscow had to carry on a war unsupportable by the government,
> a conflict that brought about the demoralization and finally the
> breakup of the Soviet empire.

Apparently the US edition doesn't contain that
interview.  I was going to ask Rob if it would
be easy to check the domestic edition, but
<http://www.nouvelobs.com/archives/> yields:
<http://frigorix.sdv.fr/nouvelobs/archives/voir_article.cfm?id=33731>

-Dave