Musings

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 21:39:28 -0400

Interesting, but not overly disruptive to my assertion.  In raw "life
expectancy at birth", the first three countries are outliers, probably
with overly small or self selecting populations, and Japan has an
overall life expectancy of  80.8 vs. US's 77.26.  This is probably close
to the error in the estimate (considering this is all predicting the
state of events 80 years from now) and quite in contrast with a country
like Uganda at 43.37 yrs.

It would be very interesting to remove from the samples those that
decreased their chances purposefully, such as by smoking.  This probably
represents the huge difference between men and women in Japan for instance.

Additionally, the US will suffer in a raw comparison like this if there
are genetic pool variations that make some subgroups more geriatrically
stable than others.  Diet of course is another side effect of culture
that is an issue.  It is debatable whether an otherwise efficient /
recreational (i.e. good) diet is more or less advanced simply because it
leads to higher incidence of health problems.

sdw