Indian Techies Told to Mind Their Ps and Qs

Udhay Shankar N udhay@pobox.com
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 19:10:12 +0530

Hm. Interesting. Anybody have personal experience of this?

http://www.rediff.com/money/2001/oct/17it1.htm

Indian techies told to mind their Ps and Qs

Imran Qureshi in Bangalore

Indian IT companies are beginning to impart a new dimension to the social
skills of their professionals travelling abroad -- to be politically
correct in the post-Black Tuesday era.

At least half a dozen companies in this Indian IT capital have begun giving
special briefing to senior management personnel on how to deal with the war
on terrorism while in the US, the biggest market for Indian IT.

"What some companies are doing is to basically sensitise their colleagues
to the political dimension of the current geo-political situation. Like it
would be politically incorrect to say that Osama bin Laden is to George W
Bush what Bhindranwale was to Indira Gandhi," a senior company official said.

The reference was to the Sikh militant preacher Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale,
seen as a political creation of then prime minister Indira Gandhi before he
became a leader of the Sikh militant movement and was hunted down and
killed by Indian Army troops in June 1984.

IT professionals are being told not only how to discuss the current
political situation but also to show solidarity with Americans and
Europeans and, where necessary, to simply say: "It is not my forte...
politely, of course."

The professionals are also being told to be "careful while talking even
among Indians so that some crude remark or joke does not affect business
relations."

Said another official of a software firm: "In the US, where everybody is
suspicious about everybody, particularly Indian facial features, it is all
the more necessary for us to ensure that our colleagues don't cross the
line of control and get into a free-wheeling political discussion."

Officials became alarmed after the case of an Indian IT expert being held
back by the police at Singapore airport came to light.

All that the Indian is said to have told another Indian professional was
that in his spare time he played for a band and that he was the guitarist.

An American sitting in the airport lounge heard the guitarist say he was a
"terrorist" and promptly reported the conversation to the police. "When
such is the mood, it is all the more important for us to sensitise our
colleagues on being politically correct," said one official.

Companies have also put restrictions on the forwarding "jokes and other
hate mail" that is flooding Internet users.

"This is because we don't know where all that mail will be forwarded to,
and if the company's address is evident, it could affect business. We are
just being careful," said the official of another company.

"This is one aspect that we realise has to be added to our social skill
training because of the situation," said one executive.

Imparting social skill training, including situational English, body
language, presentation, cultural aspects, and time and stress management,
has spawned into a separate business.

The addition of political correctness into social skill sets is significant
because the Indian IT industry was hit first by the slowdown in the US
economy and then by last month's terror attacks.

"In such a situation, it would be stupid for us to lose business because
one colleague is politically insensitive," pointed out one official.

Indo-Asian News Service

      God is silent. Now if we can only get Man to shut up.