Men and violence

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 10:05:21 -0400 (EDT)

> This would imply that the person who wrote "people don't kill people, men
> kill people" is a (distasteful) sexist,

Maybe. Depends on your definition of sexist.

I thought I was just making a factual assertion -- to a first
approximation, violence and particularly inflicted death are caused by
unmarried men betweeen the ages of 15 and 30. People don't kill
people, men kill people.

One of the other demographic time bombs that interests me is the
possibility of rising violence in the countries deliberately skewing
their birth ratio towards the male, thus creating a bulge of
unmarriageable men.

-clay