Wired radio in Moscow

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:44:08 -0700

Jim Whitehead wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/18/international/europe/18MOSC.html
>
> The concept, embraced by millions of other Russians, is known as wired
> radio, a linear descendant of the loudspeakers that Stalin once hung on
> poles in farms, communal apartment houses and villages throughout the Soviet
> Union.

In Barbados, wired radio was only recently phased out. My understanding
is that one big advantage of it was that the same wires cared the power
so even households without electricity had access to the "Rediffusion"
as it was called.

"Paul Migliorelli has been listening to shortwave for 25 years or so,
but he only recently discovered Communications World. Paul says a family
friend from Barbados recently described to him a cable radio service,
called Rediffusion, that used to exist in that country. Yes, back in
November 1997, I reported on the demise of Barbados Rediffusion as a
wired radio service. That started a lively discussion on this program
about other countries which have, or used to have, audio programming
services sent by wire. There are still come companies around the world,
offshoots of the British company Rediffusion Limited, which now use
newer media such as FM. One of the few wired radio services still around
is the Tochka system of the former Soviet Union, and how long will it
last? On the other hand, if you think about it, streamed audio via the
Internet is a form of rediffusion."

 http://www.trsc.com/cw/cw_20000930.html

 Paul Prescod