This Land is My Land, This Land is My Land

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:02:22 -0400 (EDT)

> let me rephrase.  will those that don't embrace cgm continue to *allow*
> themselves to be dominated by those who do?

Probably. We have more money.

When they see that, they will want something similar, and when they
try to find out how to get it, they will discover that consumer
economies grow faster than non-consumer economies.

People are guided by both greed and envy, so any political system
reflective of the will of the people will be tropic towards econimic
structures that create wealth.

An old girlfriend spent some time in Mombasa learning Swahili, and was
struck by the detail the locals had hit upon in referring to the US --
"where even poor people have cars."

Spirituality plus poverty has little chance against that, and as our
communications networks grow, it becomes increasingly difficult to
live free from the evidence of material abundance elsewhere.

-clay