Infoworld: WebDAV Comes of Age

Jim Whitehead ejw@cse.ucsc.edu
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:37:07 -0700

Rohit Khare writes:
> [Woo-hoo! I wish I could email this five years backwards in time to
> whenJim first tiptoed into this tarpit! :-) --RK]

Me too -- there were many dark times in the development of DAV when this
news would have been very heartening. A little known fact is that DAV was
almost wrecked by RDF. Guha, while he was still at Netscape, convinced Asad
Faizi (the NS DAV rep) that DAV properties had to be RDF. This was
unacceptable to Yaron Goland, the MS rep. We eventually convinced Asad that
XML properties meant you could do RDF if you wanted, and the day was saved.

Another indication of the growing maturity of WebDAV is that IW did this
story without contacting me, or me contacting them.

- Jim