This Land is My Land, This Land is My Land

John Hall johnhall@evergo.net
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:42:52 -0700

> From: fork-admin@xent.com [mailto:fork-admin@xent.com] On
> Behalf Of Clay Shirky
>
> An old girlfriend spent some time in Mombasa learning
> Swahili, and was struck by the detail the locals had hit upon
> in referring to the US -- "where even poor people have cars."

Similar story.  The Soviet censors let in the movie "The Grapes of
Wrath".  What harm could that do?

Well, here was a movie about the greatest Capitalist Depression of all
times.  And their poor people _DROVE IN THEIR OWN TRUCKS_.

The defector that related that story said the audiences were litteraly
stunned.  It was like looking at a world where even the poorest had
blimps.