Sniffing the mail

Dan Kohn dan@dankohn.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:10:57 -0700

The word is that microwaving mail will not in fact kill anthrax spores,
which are tough bastards.  Irradiation works well, and at a millions
dollars a machine, is quite feasible at every major mail center.

Personally, I never use snail-mail for anything any more, and so I think
email is a much better option.

		- dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan@dankohn.com>
<http://www.dankohn.com/>  <tel:+1-650-327-2600>

-----Original Message-----
From: fork-admin@xent.com [mailto:fork-admin@xent.com] On Behalf Of
Eirikur Hallgrimsson
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 14:27
To: FoRK@xent.com
Subject: Sniffing the mail

	The post office problems are going to be huge.  Not just in
terms of the immediate danger to a lot of people, but in terms of
long-term changes.   I can imagine various ways of dealing with the
problem of contaminated mail in government offices, but really, the
only way to deal with it in terms of protecting individuals and
businesses, is going to be to do it in the post office.   This will
be very expensive and time-consuming, delaying mail significantly.
Machines will have to be installed to sniff at each envelope and
package.   Want to shut down a major post office mail sorting
facility for a while?  Just smear something on an envelope.  I can't
see how automated sniffers can prevent the expensive and
time-consuming human response that's required when one goes off.
And, the sniffers need to be updated for each new threat substance.
Electronic sniffers are really new and I don't know if one could make
one for the present problem.  You'd need one of those bio-chip arrays
that could recognize the spore form.
Just think of the expense.  It's going to be amazing.

	Then, when you've recognized a bad piece of mail, and
verified that it hasn't contaminated other mail (or you have
decontaminated the other mail), you really want an audit trail of
where it came from, given that the return address is optional.   Wow,
imagine a world where you have to show ID to mail a letter.  Bye, bye
streetcorner mailboxes.

	I was writing the above to a friend when I realized I had not
heard the FoRK community brainstorming on dealing with infrastructure
attacks through systems like the mail.

	Eirikur