Multiculturalism

Sherry Listgarten heysherry@mindspring.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:27:01 -0700

> If either of these (or any other statement targetting particular
> cultural outcomes) were cost-free, I might feel differently, but there
> is no such cost-free world, so I think the same thing about culture
> that I think about economies -- remove the barriers you can, and get
> out of the way, because all of us are smarter than any of us, and
> central planning is to be avoided where possible.

A barrier to one thing may be an enabler for something else. I think
be the same as yours. Consider a real-estate developer and an
environmentalist, for example.

Surely we *are* all trying to remove barriers -- to where we want to be.
Which gets us back to the no-op comment about different functions we're
optimizing, etc.

-- Sherry.