Multiculturalism

Clay Shirky clay@shirky.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 21:47:27 -0400 (EDT)

> Surely we *are* all trying to remove barriers -- to where we want to be.
> Which gets us back to the no-op comment about different functions we're
> optimizing, etc.

I don't think we are all trying to do that. I think in fact that you
are trying to create a false consensus where none exists.

There are people who believe that culture should be protected in the
same way gardens are -- uproot foreign influences, prevent
cross-breeding -- and there are people who don't. If you believe that
distinct cultures are better than blended ones, you are in the former
camp, and we simply disagree about both motives and goals.

Nothing wrong with disagreement, 'swhat keeps fork going.

-clay