Control of immigration (was: Multiculturalism)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:14:41 +0000

Paul Prescod writes:
>Nike is not taking advantage of an impoverished population.

Really? It sure looks that way to me. And from a
business viewpoint, I would fault them if they failed
to do so. There's great opportunity to be had by doing
this. If they're not taking advantage of it, why not?
Why are they failing their stockholders??

You're still trying to read into what I write that I
think Nike is somehow in the wrong for this. I expect
Nike to take advantage of impoverished pools of labor
in the same way that I expect native tech companies to
take advantage of the currently depressed rates for
software consultants.

What I'm pointing out is something more basic. Were I
a worker in Vietnam, earning X/hr there, yet knowing
that I could earn 100X/hr in Los Angelos, I would want
to do the rational thing, to wit, save up the cost to
ride a tramp steamer to Los Angelos, where I could then
work at a much higher rate. And if I saw that the only
impediment to this plan were immigration laws of a
country that preaches free trade, well .. I would feel
something was a little out of whack, and that I was on
the unfair side of it.

Actually, I expect very few Vietnamese think this way.
(Though I think a lot of Mexican workers do.) I also
understand all the practical reasons for immigration
barriers. I also realize that we American workers are
the major beneficiaries of this. As such, I think it
behooves us to think a little bit about how it looks
from the other side of the fence.

Russell