Multiculturalism

Tom tomwhore@inetarena.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Lisa Dusseault wrote:

--]Voting isn't the centerpiece of American culture, by at least some
--]standards.  USA has very few national referendums, and only some states seem
--]to do a lot with ballot initiatives and other local voting mechanisms.
--]Other countries vote on far more issues.  Switzerland is, I believe, one
--]example.

Here in Oregon we get to not only vote for direct issues we get to put
them on the ballet.

In recent years I have voted on Doctor Assisted Suicide, Legal
Discrimination Against Gays, Raising Taxers for the LIbrary, A Light Rail
System, Funding an Expansion on the Local Schools, What to do with Budget
Surpluses and more.

One of the nice things about the vote in Oregon is you can do it via
snailmail. Contrasted with the hellish lines back in my NYC votting days
its pure bliss.

      \ /
       X   ASCII Ribbon Campaign
      / \   Against HTML Mail