IP: Bell Labs Develops Global Roaming Software

=?iso-8859-1?B?SvZzaA==?= josh@bluescreen.org
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:31:08 -0400

My take..  Disclaimer, quick read matched up with
 what Ive learned working in wireless telecom.   I could be wrong.
I may also be restating the obvious...

It wont make any phone work with any network, if thats what you mean.
Basically, it looks like it is just abstracting away the basic and common
network comoponents in wireless network systems (telephony oriented)
to a common interface.    Today, these components often have
proprietary interfaces that differ among vendors, or incompatibility
between systems like GSM and CDMA for example.
This has nothing to do with the actual radio technology, but the
way the rest of the network/system is architected.

GSM (as an example)  effectively defines a shitload more than the radio
access protocol, like
how you locate your cell phone to receive a call when you arent
at your home cell, how you get caller ID info, how SMS messages
are sent and so on.

 There is also a bunch of extra crap that is not really
part of the spec, but currently implemented in many (incompatible ways)
such as how billing, roaming agreements, SMS interfacing, prepaid crediting
verfication,
all work together...

I think that the bell labs project just defines abstractions for this stuff.
Its cool and important, but not awesome or great IPR, IMHO.

I think a similar, though simplified example is making auth brokers look
the same by defining a common web interface.  Its not actually
making different cryptography systems interoperate at the cipher
level, but just defining a common interface to an auth transaction,
perhaps like GSS API..