Infoworld: WebDAV Comes of Age

Mike Dierken mike@DataChannel.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:39:56 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C15BE1.591F0960

Thanks for the explanation. I did a shell extension (actually a =
namespace
extension) a couple years ago to talk to an early version of my =
companies
server product - we called it 'Save To The Web'. I knew DAV was going =
happen & I wanted us to be there when it did. I didn't realize at the =
time
how hard a shell extension was - shifting, undocumented APIs - stuff =
like
that. The next version of the product had straight DAV support, but due =
vagaries of product development, we didn't continue with any client =
code,
which made it hard to provide value above the barebones initial DAV =
client
support from MS.

> WinXP has included DAV support in "The Redirector" which is
> the low level kernel/system interface that goes below the calls=20
> like fopen().  However, it does not allow you to call fopen OR
> a standard (old) file dialog with a URI.
This sounds very cool, even with the minor limitation of the 'drive =
letter'
style hook. I didn't want to tackle that kind of code way back then. It =
sure
makes Windows more capable on a heterogenous network.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C15BE1.591F0960

RE: Infoworld: WebDAV Comes of Age

Thanks for the explanation. I did a shell extension = (actually a namespace extension) a couple years ago to talk to an early = version of my companies server product - we called it 'Save To The = Web'. I knew DAV was going to happen & I wanted us to be there when = it did. I didn't realize at the time how hard a shell extension was - = shifting, undocumented APIs - stuff like that. The next version of the = product had straight DAV support, but due to vagaries of product = development, we didn't continue with any client code, which made it = hard to provide value above the barebones initial DAV client support = from MS.