Infoworld: WebDAV Comes of Age

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:20:42 -0400

Simple political explanation: the Office team and the IE team wanted =
WebDAV, the core Windows 2K team didn't.

Breaking Windows_  is a fascinating book, and explains all sorts of =
oddities about MS and its integration (or lack thereof) in various =
versions of Windows.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: jm@jmason.org [mailto:jm@jmason.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 10:13 PM
To: J=F6sh
Cc: Justin Mason; Mike Dierken; FoRK@xent.com
Subject: Re: Infoworld: WebDAV Comes of Age=20

> > Why haven't they kept the old "backwards compatibility" APIs in =
sync, and
> > capable of doing the wonderful new stuff that the new APIs can do?
> > It all seems to downright encourage third-party app breakage.
> >
> Im not quite sure i read you right.  Im assuming you are saying:
> "Why didnt MSFT make the existing APIs apps use for file access
> work with DAV in the first place.   What they did amounts to adding
> new 'secret' APIs that break 3rd  party apps or make them not support
> new things like MSFT apps do.."

Hi Josh, (sorry about the delay in replying)

That's more or less what I meant.  My POV is that, of these 2 options:

#1 would have been the correct way to do it, to my mind, as #2 means
that only new releases of third-party apps could get DAV support.

However I see your points about the fact that the lower-level-stuff =
team
would have had to buy in on that; and also the incompatibilities in =
other
areas of existing file I/O, and how it could break backwards-compat in
other ways...

All in all, good explanation -- thanks!   I guess I haven't had to =
worry
about long-term backwards compat in my own code a while ;)

--j.