Infoworld: WebDAV Comes of Age

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 04:40:30 -0400

No, it wasn't cynical, although I'm sure it was overly simplified.

I was just trying to indicate that it wasn't a *technical* decision to =
not include WebDAV in Win2K.  As you wrote, there were lots of good =
ideas that didn't get included.

"Political" may have been the wrong word; "pragmatic" would have been =
better.

And _Breaking Windows_ didn't discuss this in specific.  It did cover =
the IE/Windows integration tussles, such as the replacement of the =
original Explorer with IE.
-----Original Message-----
From: J=F6sh [mailto:josh@bluescreen.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 12:09 AM
To: Meltsner, Kenneth; jm@jmason.org
Cc: Mike Dierken; FoRK@xent.com
Subject: Re: Infoworld: WebDAV Comes of Age=20

----- Original Message -----
From: "Meltsner, Kenneth" <Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com>
To: <jm@jmason.org>; "J=F6sh" <josh@bluescreen.org>
Cc: "Mike Dierken" <mike@DataChannel.com>; <FoRK@xent.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 11:20 PM
Subject: RE: Infoworld: WebDAV Comes of Age

> Simple political explanation: the Office team and the IE team wanted
WebDAV, the core Windows 2K team didn't.

Make that the overly simplified and cynical explanation.. :)

IMHO, The win2k team wasnt opposed to DAV, they just werent willing to =
sign
up to
build a new redirector for win2k.   That isnt saying anything abouit =
DAV,
they really
had plenty of things to do before shipping win2k.   There were a bunch =
of
things
that ended up in XP that were originally on the win2k schedule way =
before
DAV
was suggested but were cut.
Your comment indicates that the win2k team didnt like DAV.  Even if =
that is
in the book
you mention, I dont remember experiencing that sentiment from the =
people I
worked
with in NT networking.
BTW:  my original explanation of how the XP DAV worked came from one of
those
people who were in the NT networking team.

An OOps..
in my haste, I definitely forgot to include the office/rosebud team in =
who
did a lot of work to make DAV happen for IE5/office2000...  They did a =
lot
of work.

Many of you will also remember Yaron Goland, who personally emitted a =
great
amount of hot air (as you know he can) preventing DAV from being cut
numerous times.

[...]