Editorial on Ellison, McNealy, and national ID card

Jim Whitehead ejw@cse.ucsc.edu
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:57:35 -0700

> 5 years from now it will be a hand-scan, and done in real time.

I think this timeline is a bit optimistic, but I won't quibble with the
overall direction. Sometime in the first half of the 21st century, it will
be possible to uniquely identify someone from their DNA in real time, at
trivial cost.

But, all that DNA does is give you a GUID, a Globally Unique IDentifier.
You still need a big honkin' database to resolve that GUID into a legal
entity (name, nationality, criminal record, etc.)  It is now, and in the
future, possible to fight the creation of this database.

- Jim